Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Rochester Hills, Michigan

The moment we pulled into Rochester Hills, MI, I knew that I loved this city. For the past 6 weeks we have lived in a furnished apartment across from the Yates Cider Mill. We were able to hike trails along the Clinton river that lead to Sled Hill just by walking out to the back of our complex. We joined Lifetime Fitness, the world's most amazing fitness facility...water slides, a hot yoga studio, multiple pools, a rock climbing gym...etc. We joined the local library located right on the Clinton River downtown. This town is quaint and beautiful. Friday we close on a home in Rochester Hills. I am excited about adopting this place as my new home.

The pace of life has drastically changed. I am able to sleep in and start my mornings with snuggles and devotions with my kids. School has been simple and productive. I take Hot Yoga and exercise most evenings. I joined a Bible Study at Woodside. There I met Chris. She is a walking answer to prayer. I sat right next to her the first night. She has 4 children my kid's ages and sexes and she homeschools. We have spent the last few weekends hanging out with her family. Her husband Shane is a great man, he helped Tim and I do some repairs on our soon to be home that needed to be done in order to close. One night Shane and Tim took the kids 4 wheeling on a frozen pond in the snow...and they also played tag there under the moonlight. Such adventure.  I love her family and I know we would all be so much more homesick without them. What a miracle they are to all of us!

We are all super proud of Tim. He has been his usual machine-of-a-self working so hard at his job and engaging at home as well. Work has been a little on the CrAzY side for him, but he is really coming along.

The lack of sun has taken a major getting used to. I have had to watch my mind a bit...I could see how wearing sweat pants all day, continual days of gray skies, and a serious cut in my social time was affecting my usual clarity, energy and joy. The whole house purchasing process was pretty brutal with the exception of the last two weeks. However, this much time to be with myself has actually been useful. I have wasted time on fb and watching TV for sure, but I have also dealt with attitudes and feelings that I think I have stuffed a bit in the business of our transition to Michigan. I have  experienced mulitple benefits in the relationships with my children that followed the major cut back of the busyness in our lives. I am ready to be a stay at home mom in a new way. More on that later.

Another bonus to life here in MI is Trader Joe's. Best. Store. Ever. SO cheap!

FUNNY KID QUOTE:
Yesterday Tim mentions going to the Canada side of Niagara Falls.
Me: oh, we have to get the kids passports.
Cole: my biggie muscles are all the passports I need.

Ahhhh, love that kid.


Here are some pictures of the last month starting with the most recent:


Whitney at Oberweiss


Here's the story: Last week after Awana my older 3 were really homesick, tired and hungry. I felt bad for them and wanted to cheer them up. I brought them to Oberweiss for some ice cream. After I ordered, I realized that I didn't have my wallet (order wasn't started, thankfully). Thus, we left empty handed. They sat in the car THANKING me for taking them to Awana and reassuring me that it was ok. Their kindness and gratitude pierced my heart. So, at 10am the very next morning, I drove them back, and smiled in my heart pass the judgemental stares of onlookers. I heart my children.


One night we had to identify Tim's car by his Florida license plate just to find it.


Loved Coach Chris...he was the best Rock Climbing coach!
I woke up one morning to a gift of jewels and dollars on my pillow from Owen. Heart him.
Lily and I got a pedi one gray weekend.
Party like it's Monday!
Someone likes to practice walking at Costco.
Lily and Owen making their "Healthy Yum" treats: milk, pb, lime, hummus, etc....Eeewww



walking home from the most beautiful day of sledding ever!



The trails that lead to Sled Hill...this does it no justice.


Library and park




Library in background

Looking the opposite way towards downtown.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and input, and I sincerely take them to heart.