Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2015

The 100 Days of Summer

The twins, as we refer to Cole and Lily, celebrated what their respective youths group donned 'The 100 Days of Summer.' Thursday outings to pool parties, Wednesday night lake house parties, lunches out, concerts, water-war tournaments, (insert an 'etc' dressed up in in dollar bills and driving time well spent). The twins went on their mission trips as well; Cole to the heart of Detroit and Lily to Pontiac. Their youth group and its leaders do a crazily beautiful job of providing intentional opportunities and pouring out abundant love into their students, consequently raising up children whom posses servant-leader hearts and outside-of-themselves vision. The mission teams this year talked to strangers in both poor and affluent areas of Detroit, gave money away in grocery stores, prayed for people in the city parks, served at food banks, worked in the school systems, and helped single mothers with their babies, to name a small fraction of what was accomplished. They shared the gospel in word and deed. I want to be like them when I grow up. Needless to say Cole and Lily both claim 2015 as their best summer yet.

Owen enjoyed Grandma & Grandpa time, a visit up North with our more-like-family-than-neighbors neighbors, as well as many a visits to Stoney Creek, swimming in the lake, roller-blading, biking and hiking the 'more difficult' trails with his Mamma. Hiking, we discovered, is one of his favorite ways to spend time together, to my unabashed delight.

Whitney spent 40 days, 5 days in a row for 8 weeks, in what she called 'The Tunnel'. She would relax and watch a movies as oxygen saturated her lungs and the increased atmospheric pressure of her pressurized chamber forced the oxygen towards the inmost places of her body. This process, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, has been used to cure diabetes induced wounds, The Bends, carbon monoxide poisoning, and has more recently been shown to help increase progress and support healing for those who suffer with  PTSD, autism and cerebral palsy. We saw improvements in her gait, speed, attention, and vocabulary. It was a financial and time commitment risk, and her parents, not risk takers by trade, are pleased with the outcome.

If it can be said that the kids went on their journey of 100 days, it can most certainly be stated that I went on my own journey of 40. Truth be told, when Tim and I finally committed to the Hyperbaric Treatments (HBOT), I was filled with both excited and trepidation. This would require a significant chunk out of my every week day, lasting throughout almost the entirety of my summer. This was supposed to be my down time, my respite, but I resolved to do what Mom's just do: grit their teeth and bear it. Silly girl. I had no idea that these 40 days would be one of the most restorative seasons of my life, heart and soul as well.
But that's another story for another time.

With Fall just around the corner, we have a lot of dance, cross country, swimming, and school ahead, so without further adieu, I present to you an obnoxiously long presentation of our summer in photos:
Summer started off with Owen's birthday, his 9th this year, and one of our favorite traditions, Rochester Heritage Day.

A week later we had Lily's birthday, her 12th, and we celebrated with her BF Hanna, and a day at the mall. 

A week after that Whitney said goodbye to her 3 precious friends who won't be returning to her school this year. We still keep in touch with their families. Good people. 

Then she got these precious new glasses. Goodbye baby Comos, hello Juicy Couture. 

Here we have Tim wringing out his shirt after an 8 miler up and down the crazy hills that give our city its name. No big deal. Unless you are me, and then it is a very big (not happening) deal. 

Our yearly 7-mile bike ride to the Paint Creek Cider Mill for lunch, aka milkshakes for the kids, followed by a 7 mile bike ride home. I was really ill around this time and fell asleep on my PORCH after this. Yeah, we're classy like that. 

My dear friends Chris & Shane at the June 23rd (not July 4th) fireworks show. Chris is Hanna's Mom, and one of my MI BF's! 

My older two served at Flip Camp (our VBS) while my youngest two attended. That face!

Next up, Cole was celebrated by all for his 14th,, yes I did say that, 14th birthday. Owen was pretend-crying,:"I'ts soooo beautiful," cracking us up as he always does, mocking their brotherly love. Some pictures you can hear, and this is one of those for me. 

These are my babies on Lake Huron, 3.5 hours NORTH of where we live. People here are addicted to all things North. I can understand it a little more now, actually.

Mr. Dennis and Mrs. Sandy brought us to an ice cream shop and then we all watched the most humongous firework show ever at the adjacent beach. We all agree that this was one of our most favorite summer weekends.

Just because there has never been two more different siblings that loved each other so much. Be still my heart!

Sometimes in July you wear jeans and sweatshirts. This is our library, where we frequent often. The garden is amazing.

I found 5 pairs of Roller Blades, all in our family's proper sizes, at a local resale shop during this Saturday morning. I told the kids to practice in our driveway while I went to work. When I came home, Tim and I thought it would be fun to take everyone on the 6.1 mile loop around Stoney. Ummm...not the best parenting idea ever, but we improvised, shortened the trip, and had an all around blast. Ok- Tim and I did, the kids...not so much. 

But then, the next day, this. Seriously, Owen? Seriously???

Erma's is this frozen custard place, tiny and unassuming, about 20 minutes away by car. And it is Food Network worthy. Here we have Owen surrounded my his besties, Carson and Westin. 
I MEAN...

COME ON!

Here is Whitney on one of her many days at HBOT, referred to as "The Tunnel', by this big baby girl. "I go to tunnel, I watch movie." 

100+ kids praying at Cass Park in downtown Detroit. Story is being written all over the place around these parts. Hope and restoration, inside and out. 

A little older, a little  lot more lined, but even more in love. He still makes me laugh until I cry, often.  

Sometimes it's these moments that I think I am going to miss the most.

Lily has had one goal for the last year: to get on pointe. AND...drum-roll please...she did! I am over the moon for her! 

Cole is a ham. Enough said. And he turned into a beef neck this summer as well.

This is Mrs. Alissa, perhaps the most generous person one could ever meet. Like, I literally cannot even keep up with the thank you cards I need to write her. She took Owen to the Detroit Zoo one day. Owen came home and said later in the evening, "Mom- when I grow up and get a phone, I am going to make sure that I have Mrs. Alissa's number in it." That is some serious cool points.

This summer I started working for my outstandingly talented friend and wedding florist, Kate. I have spent many Saturdays traveling to different venues and setting up flowers for brides. My favorite days though are the ones in Kate's flower shop making the arrangements. I did NOT make this one, but let me tell you- I cannot even believe this is my job! It is such a creative outlet and blessing. One of the highlights of my summer, for sure. I am already looking forward to next May.

I started painting things other than walls this summer, so Owen was my sue chef when I built this much needed easel. 

Lily and Hanna completely planned...as in Tim and I did NOTHING...this party. It was a mission trip reunion party. But notice something...yup, that's right...BOYS! We were really impressed with their logistical operations, from invitations, to food, to the decor. These two are a force! But boys...




This is from our 1st hike. He kept saying how this was his favorite day ever, tied with about 5 other days.


Mom and Dad came to visit for almost a week, and we had such a special time. Dad reading to Whitney is the sweetest.

Dad got sprinkles at Erma's, after we urged him too, first time in 40 years. He loved both the sprinkles, and the outing. 

The older 3 kids, Mom and I went to a late showing of  Shaun the Sheep, Mom is their biggest fan. Is she not the funniest? My Dad's name is Stuart, btw.

Obligatory photo before our dinner in downtown Rochester.
Owen decided to get baptized...and it just so happened that Ava and Emma, his cousins, got baptized the same Sunday morning in Orlando...completely unplanned! 

This is what I am talking about...they partied like it was 1999.

And we ended the summer last Sunday at the church picnic. These two, my book ends.
And speaking of ends, if you actually read this all the way through, I congratulate you for your better than most attention span. Thanks for sharing The 100 Days with us. I hope to update again, hopefully before next summer. 
Love,
J




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and input, and I sincerely take them to heart.