Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: Blue Like Jazz

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller was such a precious read! The subtitle of this book is : Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality. This book really impacted me in that it articulated so many things that I have been meditating on the last handful of years. I knew it was written for be after I read the chapter called Penguin Sex (stay with me here!), that described the mating and parenting process that Penguins go through. Anyone who has seen March of the Penguins will understand. I watched that movie days after giving birth to Owen, so the hormones were high and mighty as I sat there bawling over how much Penguins love and care for each other. I remember telling my mom that I thought that the Penguin kiss in the movie should win "Best Kiss of the Year" at the next MTV awards or whatever! Anywhooo...Donald Miller's book is FUNNY...LOL at times, deep, honest, human and inspiring. As someone who didn't become a Christian until my latter days of high-school, this book spoke a language to me that helped to define the differences between religious, Bible-Belt culture and the love and strength of who Jesus really is and who Jesus really loves. Personal Application: Embrace the beauty of humanity, LOVE people without hidden agendas of 'converting' them (let God do what God needs to do in others), walk free from judgement (especially towards other Christians), make room in my life to cultivate art and beauty around me, ask God to continually help me to receive his love! This book takes a fresh approach on many aspects of the life of a Christian and inspires me to enjoy God and His people more! Must read! Serious...MUST READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and input, and I sincerely take them to heart.